HCM space is constantly evolving with systems becoming intelligent and flexible in order to maintain their competitive advantage. An ATS (Applicant Tracking System) is one of the core components of a successful HCM solution that assists in automating company’s talent acquisition needs. A smart and scalable ATS transforms the overall experience of recruiters as well as candidates empowering the HCM to gain from its seamless user experience.
Importance of API based integration
With varieties of ATSs present, HCM solutions are focusing on the capability to easily adapt ATS in their existing solution model. APIs have become the driving force behind continuous and automated data exchange between different systems and platforms. Many ATS may not offer access of APIs making it a painful experience caused by legacy deployments or ‘rip-and-replace’ mechanism, in which they’ve heavily invested. And even if they exist, the “integration points” sometimes limit organizations to gain full advantage of third party systems.
APIs make the solution extensible which leads to a rich feature set topped up with speed of platform access and efficient management of platform security. These also help keep only the required communication in place for two independent systems. Ensuring compliance and interoperability becomes easy to accomplish with API integration.
Factors to consider while choosing ATS having API integration abilities
There are several factors that should be taken into consideration for selecting an ATS system and evaluating its API capabilities, we will discuss few areas that need to be taken into consideration.
ATS Offerings: It is critical to plug with an ATS that provides rich and scalable recruitment functions such as – Candidate Sourcing, Screening Candidates, Job Postings, Flexible Access, Communication, Scheduling, Reporting & Monitoring and Evaluation.
API Design and capabilities: There is lot to consider for a good API design, some of capabilities that an API layer must have – Security and authorization protocols, Easy to understand and Implement, Versioning, Request Rate Limit, Good Documentation, Usage and performance monitoring.
Benefits of API based integration with an ATS
APIs are quite useful in the way they help in coordinating between an ATS and HCM solution. To focus on the benefits, we are listing out a few areas where ATS integration via API gives the application an upper hand in the integration space.
• Less turnaround time – During the entire flow of candidate from ATS to HCM a lot of data needs to be exchanged between these two systems which takes place in background and individual effort by HR personnel is highly reduced for accessing the candidate data, sending back updates, reporting.
• Transition of data – API layer allows a business to decouple its information access and flows from actual business systems thus enabling host system to communicate in multiple data formats through single interface only without worrying about the actual structure or which people and applications access data.
• Versioning – Similar to business requirements, an integration channel also needs to evolve to cope up with application. Handling these changes without breaking existing consumer system is a must which becomes quite easy with API versioning options. It allows to govern releases and manage change control with minimal or no impact on consumers.
• Scalability & cross platform support – With emerging need for cross platform scalability an API based integration enables seamless flow of data and information between apps and devices thus embracing mobile and web applications support.
• Secure channel – APIs bring together different systems and provide a platform that securely exposes data in a useful way to internal and external developers and applications, as well as to partners and customers. Also acting as an actual doorway to expose and manage only selected APIs externally to customers and partners.